Inspiration 9

tumblr_lzqwlpxGTe1qcl3afo1_500It’s all in the context of a picture.  I have had this on my computer for years.  It reminds me that we should never make snap judgments about people.  The man in this picture would be judged by most people as someone you should be careful around.  The long scraggly beard, long unkempt hair, and old faded shirt tells us that he is someone who doesn’t care for himself so what would he do to me.  However, in this photo the kitten looking up at him and the smile on his face makes him more approachable.  Even though this may not seem to be related to design but over the years I have learned that this is a central theme in design.  If we use all dark, strong colors then it will make the publication unapproachable for most people.  Also if you use backgrounds of broken, unattractive textures then most people will stay clear.  This is why I think Apple uses whites and grays.  They are instantly approachable to the masses.  Light colors tell people that there are no secrets and it is a safe place while dark colors imply secrets and dangers.  But this is my personal opinion, take it or leave it.