Job 3–thoughts on images

Image Quality and Resolution
Any time you are working on a print project you want to use the highest quality image you can. What may look fine on your monitor (72 pixels per inch) won’t translate when it gets printed out (300 dots per inch). When you place your image it should be larger than your text-object so that you have more options for manipulating it. It is hard to give a specific file size or resolution because it depends on the message that you are trying to create.

Best Composition
Image selection can impact the look of your job, so choosing the best composition in your image depends on on the message you want to convey. If you want people to see more of the image than the image should contain small items at a pretty high resolution. This way if you won’t have to increase the size and more of your image will be seen. If you want your image to be more about texture than you can get away with a smaller resolution size because most likely you are only going to use a portion of the image and aren’t you aren’t so concerned about keeping the image in proportion.

Picking your font is also a consideration. You want to choose a font that you can expand each letter enough to contain more of the image. We’ll learn more about making adjustments to text in the next couple of jobs.

Look at the following examples. the image is to the left and its application with the text-object on the right:

sunflower-blue    sunflowers-example3

sunflower-sky    sunflowers-example2

sunflowers    sunflowers-example4

When manipulating your background image, you’re going to want to pay attention to which selection tool you use.

Selection tool (filled arrow) vs. Direct Section tool (hollow arrow)

I think of the selection tool (filled arrow) as the tool that selects items at a bigger overall level – the selection tool picks things that are frame related. The direct selection tool (hollow arrow) is for selecting items that are at a smaller level – those items that are inside the frame. For our example, we have two things in the frame: the text object and the image. If I wanted to select the text object AND the image (to move or resize) I would use the select tool. If I wanted to select just the text OR just the image then I would use the direct select tool – selecting directly at individual items within the frame.

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eCampus courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eCampus and researching eCampus tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.
2 comments
  1. I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on
    your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?

Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare
    to see a great blog like this one today.

2. I see you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash every
    month because you’ve got high quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search
    for: Boorfe’s tips best adsense alternative

Leave a Reply to Cheap high quality backlinks Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *