text graphics and wrapping

Hey – just a quick deviation from print design to web design that was prompted by Ginny. Wrapping text around an image is much easier in indesign (in my opinion) than in webdesign, especially if you are using a free wordpress theme and have no control over the CSS style sheet definitions.

I’ve posted this “dwell” image right above this line of text and set the alignment to left. This particular theme seems to give it plenty of space between the image and the text that is wrapping around it. I could increase the white space around the image by increasing the vertical or horizontal alignment in the advanced settings when I either place the image or edit it. In the edit mode if you click on the image you’ll see a portrait icon – this takes you to the area where you can edit the image. If you click on the advanced tab you’ll see a place where you can change the pixel attribute and give the image more vertical or horizontal space. This example has a horizontal space of 40 pixels.

Here is the behind the scene image properties. I have inserted ┬áthis image above this text paragraph and set the alignment to right. Look in the styles box. I entered 40 in the horizontal space box and when I saved, wordpress wrote the Styles code for me. I could tweek it if I wanted to. So this advanced settings information goes with the “dwell” image above.

If I had placed the image below this text then I get different results. The below image was inserted below this text. I set the alignment to left but you can see that it looks different from the above example. As I keep typing then the image just keeps moving down.

I have now clicked on the left side of the image and am now getting the same kind of wrap as above.

I hope that answers some questions – feel free to play around with your posts. This blog is set up so that authors can remove their posts if they want to.

Heidi enjoys working with content experts in developing eCampus courses to provide alternatives for students. Her other interests include faculty training in best practices for eCampus and researching eCampus tools to help fulfill learning outcomes. Having worked in the distance education arena for over 20 years, she has a wide range of experiences in supporting students and faculty as technology and pedagogy evolve.
2 comments
  1. Wow, thank you for the great info. This week is full of learning…yikes…I better get back to work!

2. You’re so interesting! I don’t suppose I have read something like that before.
    So wonderful to discover someone with a few genuine
    thoughts on this subject. Really.. thank you for starting this up.

This web site is something that is needed on the internet, someone with some originality!