Job 02 – National Geographic

I chose to use a National Geographic that I’ve had floating around my desk for a week, the September 2012 issue (for those following along…) I found several pages that could be from master pages in just the first 30 pages. This one seems to be the most prolific:

On pages 7, 7b (not sure what to call   it, it’s an ad “between” pages 6 and 8), 15, 23, 29 and 30 the pages all seem different in many ways yet considerably similar. These ads all have an image in the background with the majority of the product or service’s description and contact information laid out at the bottom of the page. Five of them have a caption at the top or in the middle of the space above the description.

I counted at least 12 master pages but at about 150 pages, I am sure there are many more that I missed. I can’t imagine the people who create this magazine not tweaking some page elements to suit their purpose, thereby making master pages more difficult to spot. I guess that’s because that is what I would do.

Haley

I live in North Pole with my husband and three daughters, ages 1, 4 and 6. I am interested in becoming a graphic designer (after spending the last four years going to school for accounting, ugh! Never thought I would be one to change my mind like that). InDesign and Photoshop seemed natural classes to take for the field I wish to go into.