Haley – Intro and Business Card

Hello, my name is Haley. I grew up in Maine but moved to Salcha when I was 7. I graduated from Eielson in 2003 and moved to Fairbanks for college, but dropped out and moved to North Pole with my new husband. My first two daughters were born by 2007 and in 2008 I decided to go back to school. I have been working on an Associate’s in Applied Accounting for four years (it’s slow-going!) and am taking my absolutely last class for that degree – COMM 141.I also have a third daughter now who is 18 months old, so life is pretty busy right now.

I have been dabbling in graphic design since 2004 and would like to start my own business. I had initially wanted to start an accounting business because in 2008 I wasn’t aware that graphic design was a viable career option. I have since changed my mind and because my husband owns his own business I think now is a good opportunity to open my own. I love my 24″ iMac and I know I’ll never go back to PCs. For graphic design this computer is perfect! I’m excited to get to know InDesign since I have been using Photoshop for ten years. I am also taking the Photoshop class because I initially used Photoshop 7.0 and then Photoshop Elements 9, but recently had the opportunity to purchase CS6 Design & Web Premium. I’m pretty excited about this class!

I know UAF doesn’t have a graphic design degree but I am considering pursuing an interdisciplinary degree in graphic design with a concentration in business, utilizing online classes throughout the UA system and plenty of business classes. We’ll see if they let me do it! Graphic Design and computer stuff are two of my biggest hobbies and I would love to turn them into a degree and a career.

I also like going outside with my husband and daughters (ages 18 months, 4 and 6), going on road trips with them to Anchorage and Valdez, reading, writing fiction (or trying to), and learning new things on the computer. Have a great semester, everyone!

I live in North Pole with my husband and three daughters, ages 1, 4 and 6. I am interested in becoming a graphic designer (after spending the last four years going to school for accounting, ugh! Never thought I would be one to change my mind like that). InDesign and Photoshop seemed natural classes to take for the field I wish to go into.
4 comments
  1. Hello Haley – your plans sound very exciting! Great you can take the Photoshop class also, I hope I can do so sometime in the future. BTW, I can’t help but ask about your e-mail address, it must have something to do with being around lots of of little kids… 🙂

2. Hello Haley – your plans sound very exciting! Great you can take the Photoshop class also, I hope I can do so sometime in the future. BTW, I can’t help but ask about your e-mail address, it must have something to do with being around little kids a lot… 🙂 —— Deborah

1. Hi Deborah – the email address came about because we abruptly had to change our service provider and come up with a new email. Since we had a developmentally delayed 3-year-old and a typically developing 1-year-old who were both using the phrase during diaper changes, “Ewwwcaca” seemed appropriate. Now, 3.5 years later, it’s still a good conversation piece 🙂

3. Hi Haley, you have some great plans – I hope you are able to work on an interdiscipline degree — I see that as a trend in higher education. Last semester I had a student who incorporated some of her kids’ work in her documents. Maybe we’ll get to see some from your kids. (with proper permission and credit, of course!)

Leave a Reply to Haley Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *